Out of the five essential therapies which form the prime actions of the Panchakarmas or the techniques of thorough detoxification and overhauling the body, Basti Karma or the Enema therapy is regarded as the most important in Ayurveda healing.
This is because this specific therapy aids greatly in balancing and combating the vitiated Vata dosha or the Air body humor, which alone is responsible for 80 types of diseases and disorders.
Advantages of Basti therapy:
- Basti karma is highly beneficial in cleansing and detoxifying the body.
- The strong treatment penetrates deep into the dhatus, while the mild treatment works on the superficial level of dhatus. Both the treatments are beneficial for the body.
- Virechana therapy helps to bring clarity to the mind and also stimulates the intellectual level.
- People suffering from constipation would find the treatment beneficial, because it promotes the liquefaction of ama and mala (waste products) in the colon.
- The palliative treatment helps the colon expel them. Similar to western enemas, the Basti karma increases colonic peristalsis, producing rapid elimination of the feces.